Super XX was an old black and white film made by Kodak. The film was discontinued around September 1995, about the same time a friend of Scott Garred's suggested that he do something with his old four-track recordings. That first cassette was primarily a documentation of packing up his college home in Pullman, Washington, and heading down a dusty trail to Austin, Texas.
In Austin, another September passed, and another cassette emerged. Volume II holds songs about Scott's first year or so in Texas, making new friends and missing his old ones. In 1997, Super XX Man left his cassette home and released a 6-song 7" EP on Peek-A-Boo Records, with more songs about the triumphs and subtleties of his new Texas life.
Volume IV differs from Scott's earlier tapes in some ways. The songwriting and instrumentation is of a more traditional nature, but the songs still share the intimacy and looseness created on earlier releases. Somewhere along the way Scott realized he was still in love with the music his parents made him listen to on those long drives in the family motor home, and he found himself embracing a style of music where performance and recording quality stands for something.
Scott left Austin for Portland, Oregon, in January of 2002. He played his last show with Silver Scooter at the beloved Hole in The Wall and entered a new and wonderful world of professional music. And, of course, Super XX Man is still flying high, rescuing old thoughts and feelings from despair.
Currently performing and working as a Music Therapist in Portland, Super XX Man will be celebrating ten years of writing, producing and performing music as Super XX Man this year with the release of "Volume X."
• Volume I cassette (self-released, 1995)
• Volume II cassette (self-released, 1996)
• Volume I & II CD (self-released, 1999)
• Volume IV CD (Peek-A-Boo Records, 2000)
• Volume V CD (Post Parlo, 2001)
• Volume VI: Collecting Rocks CD (Lelp Recordings, 2003)
• Volume VII: My Usual Way CD (Lelp Recordings, 2004)
• Volume VIII: It's a Super XX Man Pizza CD (self-released, 2005)
• Volume X CD (Hush Records, 2006)
• Volume XI: A Better Place CD (Hush Records, 2007)
• Volume XII: There'll Be Diamonds CD (Tender Loving Empire, 2008)
• Volume XIII: White Bed CD (2010)
• Volume XIV: Sorta Heavy Metal LP (self-released, 2012)
• Volume XV: Super Double Daijoubu EP (self-released, 2015)
Singles & EPs
• Volume III 7" EP (Peek-A-Boo Records, 1997)
• Super XX Man & Eric Metronome Home CD (Post Parlo, 2000)
• Volume IX CD EP (self-released, 2005)
• From the Bullpen CD (Hey Buddy, 1997)
• Comp-Comp cass (Tape-Tape, 1998)
• The Peek-A-Boo Book of Spells LP (Peek-A-Boo Records, 2001)
Peek-A-Boo Family Tree
• Scott Garred: Silver Scooter